Sankey’s Smokie Recipe
Here they share their popular poached haddock recipe.
- 500g skinned, pin-boned natural smoked haddock (Sankey’s Fishmongers can prepare this for you; keep the skin)
- 1 pint full-fat milk
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprig of thyme
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g plain flour
- 200g grated cheddar
- 4 small handfuls of spinach
- Gently poach the haddock and skin in the milk for about five minutes with the bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns.
- Make a roux by melting the butter in a pan, and adding the flour bit by bit to make a paste. Cook for about one minute on a low heat.
- Strain the milk, and slowly add it to the roux to make a white sauce. Stir for around 5 – 10 minutes, or until you get a nice even thick sauce.
- Add four handfuls of the grated cheese, stir in, and remove from the heat.
- In a baking dish (or individual bowls), layer the spinach on the bottom, then add the haddock, before evenly pouring in the sauce. Coat with the remaining cheese, and brown under a hot grill.
- If you wish, you can serve with a poached egg on top. You can also add other fish or prawns, which would be poached with the haddock.