Saltcote Place is a substantial handsome, classically proportioned Grade II listed Edwardian country house set in approximately 4.5 acres of gardens in an elevated position on a quiet private lane backing on to open countryside enjoying views across Rye Bay and Romney Marsh to the south east Kent coast, on the rural fringes of the village of Playden, only a 10 minute walk from the ancient Cinque port town of Rye.
The beautifully presented spacious, versatile accommodation, is arranged over three primary floors along with lower ground floor and Tower room, comprising a reception hall, four principal reception rooms, bespoke kitchen/breakfast room as well as ancillary kitchen, laundry room and cloakrooms, eleven bedrooms and seven bath/shower rooms, including a very comfortable three bedroom penthouse suite.
Approached over an extensive tree lined driveway and enjoying landscaped gardens and grounds extending to around 4.5 acres. The house enjoys outstanding panoramic views, The house enjoys outstanding panoramic views, the white cliffs of Dover can be seen at 27 miles distant to the east and the start of the Firehills at Fairlight to the west.
Playden is mentioned in the Domesday Book, but occupation can be traced back some 4,000 years. Playden’s main occupation was fishing, the fish were salted in a one-time settlement known as Salt Cod (Salt Cote). Saltcote Street is now all that remains. Nearby Rye, a fortified hilltop town, once surrounded by the sea, played an important role in the defence of the south coast of England, the ancient buildings, cobbled streets and secret passages, once the haunt of smugglers and highwaymen, now regularly attract film crews in search of historical settings for period productions. Many authors, musicians, artists and celebrities have made Rye their home, a medieval haven periodically visited by Royalty. In 1573 the title “Rye Royale” was bestowed upon the town by Queen Elizabeth I after a three day stay.
Saltcote Place was designed in the Queen Anne Style by the eminent British architect, Sir Reginald Blomfield and completed in 1905 as a wedding present for a member of the Hennessy family. It is believed that the late Queen Mother spent happy times here with the family between the Wars and awarded a royal cypher, which to this day can be seen above the portico leading into the entrance vestibule. Historically the house has been used as a Military headquarters, three times as a School, the first being in 1922 and finally as a nursing home before being returned to private ownership in 2003. Having been extensively refurbished by the current vendors to the highest standard, it has more recently been an exclusive award winning wedding venue and two guest suites. Saltcote really is the ideal for hosting guests and/or family and has adequate facilities for staff accommodation.